Thursday, December 3, 2009

The Grapes of Wrath Chapters 1-6

I am really enjoying this second classic book that I am reading this quarter.  I believe the book deals with a deals with a deep subject being that it is set during the great depression following a poor family who has been evicted from their home.  This book is exceptionally written with vivid characters and small chapter long interludes that act as somewhat of a sub plot in the story.  These little interlude chapters are really very interesting because they bring the problems in the story into real perspective.  I like how Steinbeck makes strong points about events that are seemingly small to the reader, such as the several page passage about a turtle trying to cross the road.  This turtle goes on to be found and picked up by Tom Joad, the main character.  But it is interesting to see what happens to the turtle before Tom Joad finds it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment