Thursday, December 10, 2009

The Grapes of Wrath

My reading this week began on one of the interlude chapters.  These chapters are like nothing else that I have encountered in my independent reading career before.  This particular one was unique in that the narrator takes on the perspective of a car salesmen selling cars to desperate evicted farming families who are looking to head to California, just as the Joad family is.  These salesmen take extreme advantage of of the uneducated fearful families, being mean and rude to them, thus adding insult to injury to their standing condition.  Also in my reading this week, I met the rest of the Joad family.  This was a great ordeal because as I explained in my last post, Steinbeck likes to spend pages on just the details of one person and meeting many people of a family takes many pages.  

1 comment:

  1. I found this post interesting. John Steinbeck is one of my favorite authors, and while The Grapes of Wrath is not one of my favorite books, I did enjoy it a fair amount. I think the way you noticed the detail Steinbeck puts into character description was very perceptive. I also agree with your statement that the car dealer takes advantage of the Joad family, profiting off of their pain. Overall, I think this was a good post.

    ReplyDelete