Thursday, January 14, 2010
Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad
I feel that this week I have gotten into the meat of the story. And what a story it is. Marlow, the main character has left on his voyage into the Congo to explore. Along the way he is attacked by natives with guns who kill one of his crewmen. He makes it to the Inner Station which is the farthest any explorer before him has made it into the Congo and he intends on pressing further. Another parallel that I can draw between this book and The Catcher in The Rye is that, any small detail or event can lead to a monologue, flashback or analysis of human nature. Marlow spends pages upon pages analyzing the smallest of things that he notices about people. It is this aspect of the book that leads me to believe that the story is not what is important in the book and that the story is just a cover that can bear the true meaning that Conrad is trying to convey. I was going to blog about how I thought that the chapters were very long in this story, sometimes spanning 20-30 pages, but further investigation on my part yielded that the story is not divided into chapters but rather into "Parts" thus making it not such a big deal
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment